The Peter Lehmann Arts and Education Trust is designed to increase arts and cultural learning opportunities and increase access to the arts for local residents and visitors to the region.
The PLAET Scholarship & Grant programme provides funding of between $500 and $5,000 to individuals or organisations for projects that fit into one or more of the selection categories listed below for activities that may include:
- Professional education initiatives including individual professional development
- Research projects
- Arts projects that preserve and promote the heritage of the Barossa through the development of skills
- Creation and presentation of new artwork in any medium including visual arts, music, theatre, digital and literature
- Audience development initiatives that result in improved access to arts and cultural activities for local residents and visitors to the region
What is the Peter Lehmann Arts & Education Trust Scholarship & Grant?
The Peter Lehmann Arts and Education Trust was established in 2014. The Trust will provide support for arts and education initiatives in the Barossa region that contribute to the cultural fabric of the region and involve the development of arts and music programs. An annual award will be presented to an individual or group recipient to deliver a project that preserves and promotes the heritage of the Barossa through the development of skills and the creation and presentation of new artwork in any medium including visual arts, music, theatre, digital works and literature.
Initial funds to establish the Trust have been provided by the David Thomas Foundation, Margaret Lehmann and other community members who generously committed funds. Further fundraising activities are in development to ensure the Trust continues to grow and greater support can be provided for arts and cultural activities in the Barossa Region. Foundation Barossa is overseeing the administration of the Peter Lehmann Arts and Education Trust with an Advisory Committee established, which includes members of the Lehmann family.
Who does the PLAET Scholarship & Grant assist?
Peter Lehmann Arts and Education Trust (PLAET) is in the business of giving money away for the community benefit in the arts, culture and education, and so needs individuals and organisations with the skills, personnel, expertise, knowledge and infrastructure to be able to actually spend the money effectively and to the benefit of Barossa cultural life.
Grant and scholarship applications provide PLAET with the opportunity to do its job and to make a positive difference through funding these projects and activities.
PLAET provides funding and grants for current and emerging artists and a range of arts, culture and education based projects in areas covered by the Barossa Valley Character Protection District
- The Hill & Son Organ – organ based activities; scholarships, playing, composing, contemporary artist recording, maintenance, showcasing the instrument, and audience development; any activities or projects that will contribute to making the organ and ongoing and vibrant part of Barossa cultural life relevant to the Barossa cultural life.
- Performing and Visual Arts
- Emerging artists, artisans and craftspeople sustaining traditional skills associated with Barossa heritage and culture
- Literary arts, new media, writing and literacy
TO BE ADVISED